Saturday 10 July 2021

Is it true

Round 17: April 2028

Jack Robinson is 45, Paige is 44, Todd is 16, Emma is 7 and Beck is 2.
(Skye is 16.)


Narrated by Todd

Last year my parents told me that I'd have to either get a job or start helping on the farm since I was already 15. I gladly chose working on the farm instead of trying to get a job elsewhere. I don't mind actually. I mean it's a lot of hard work but it's kind of cool to think that we grow food for our own family and probably at least like half the town as well. Dad and I usually go over some farm stuff during dinner so I know what I'm supposed to do after school the next day.

I usually work in the greenhouse after coming home from school. I'm actually allowed to plant vegetables now instead of just getting rid of the weeds or fertilizing the plots with the compost.

I also sometimes make something to eat if mom and dad are late at work. Mom was just promoted to a Commander - she's the highest ranking female officer in the history of Wellington Armed Forces. Sometimes she has meetings in the evening although most days she comes home at the same time with Emma.

I really don't see the point of slaving away with my school home work when I will most likely take over the farm at some point and therefore won't go to college.

Mom's pretty determined about me getting a "proper education" though. She says that even if I did take over the farm it would be wise to go to college because that would help with the actual business part of the farm. I guess she has a point because I've heard dad moan about the bookkeeping and marketing plans and whatnots.

Obviously I'm not the only one who could take over the farm but it'll be a few years before mom and dad will even let Beck go inside the greenhouse - they haven't forgotten about the time Emma - about 3 years old at the time - "helped" and pulled out a row of cucumber plants.

She's gotten a lot bigger now though. She's already sometimes helping around at the greenhouse. Obviously not doing any of the heavy stuff but pulling weeds out and gathering stuff for the compost - stuff I used to do just last year. I think she might be interested in working on the farm too. It's just that I don't have any big career plans and I think I'd be happy to stay here and keep the business alive.

It's a bit early to talk about taking over the farm anyway because obviously dad will not retire anytime soon. On Saturdays I go to the Farmer's Market with him and I just don't think I'd ever be as smooth sales person as he is. He chats up the customers, makes sure everything's in order and just gets people to buy our stuff.

I'm learning to handle the cash register and sometimes I feel embarrassed for being so bad at it! I can tell the customers think I'm a total loser even though they never say anything to my face. Hopefully I can get better at this before I alienate all of our customers.

My free time starts when we get back home from the Market in the early afternoon since dad says I don't have to work in the gardens on weekends. I sometimes get back to bed to take a little nap after we get home or just lounge in my bed reading. Mom and dad bought me a bigger bed some time ago which me and Skye take full advantage of some afternoons after school if she doesn't have to work and dad and his employee are at the Market.

Saturday night I usually watch a horror movie with mom when Beck and Emma are sleeping. It has become our tradition ever since I've been old enough to watch any of the good stuff. Dad's not a big fan of horror movies so he usually either watches some cop show or movie on his computer or plays some shooter game or something.

Sometimes I sneak out with some of my friends after mom and dad have gone to bed. Not often though because I really don't want to push my luck. I think I would probably be grounded for all eternity if I was caught. It's fun though. We don't do anything bad, just hang out together and shoot the breeze.

I usually spend Sundays with Skye. Obviously we see each other at school and are sometimes able to steal a few moments after school but other than that we're pretty busy, me at the farm, she working at her grandma's lab. It's nice to just unwind and spend time together.


Notes:
  • Title from "Is it true" by Tame Impala.
  • Todd strikes me as someone who doesn't really have any big career ambitions. I'll have to see what Emma will be like when she ages but at the moment it seems that it might be Todd who takes over the farm eventually. I definitely want to keep it in the family. Who knows, it might end up with all three siblings working together instead of just one of them.
  • This was Todd's last household update as a teenager! Another set of teens growing up in a couple of years. I haven't decided yet if he'll go to college or not.
  • I've been toying with the idea of a community college that would offer 2-year degrees such as business studies for future entrepreneurs and courses in flower making, cosmetology etc. I haven't made any actual plans for it yet but it's something I'd definitely be interested in the future. However I think it might be suitable for Todd - he could study the practical side of business studies (cashiering, restocking and sales techniques) for two years and then start working on the farm.
  • I'm trying to keep up with a steady flow of updates by updating once a week. This might change in the autumn when my classes start with a full schedule but I try to play ahead so I have updates lined up. If it seems like I won't be able to keep up with weekly updates then I'll pace them out a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment