Saturday 31 July 2021

Dandelions

Round 17: May 2028


Toby Parker is 36, Erin is 33, Naomi is 5, Matthew is 2 weeks and Iona Fielding is 16.


Narrated by Toby.

Matthew was born just a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I've ever been so anxious as I was during Erin's pregnancy. The miscarriage before really did a number on us both. I'm so happy that Matthew is here, he's healthy and we can finally breathe a sigh of relief and just enjoy this precious time.

I took a month of paternity leave now and will take the other month a bit later. Erin and I try to give Naomi as much attention as before because she's used to being the "little" one in our family. So far it's gone well, she doesn't seem at all jealous of Matthew.

Iona is obviously a big help. She's used to being the big sister to younger kids in both of her homes. She usually makes sure that Naomi gets breakfast in the morning and is ready for the school bus. One morning Iona came downstairs and said that Naomi was sick. "She's really warm and her cheeks are really red."

Naomi was indeed sick, she had a fever and was really tired but luckily it only lasted a couple of days. 

We celebrated with a nice meal together - well, unfortunately it was Erin's turn to cook and she's not that good at it. We all tried to keep a straight face and just eat but Erin was the first one to call the food "disgusting".

Naomi's become friends with Michael Robinson who lives next door. I think he's a year younger than her but they seem to get along really well.

Matthew is such a joy. So far he's been a fairly easy baby. Mostly he just eats, sleeps and poops but he's started to stay awake long enough for us to actually bond with him.

Erin's on maternity leave but she likes to keep up-to-date with the office so usually participates on a Zoom meeting every now and then and checks her emails. Her boss has told her that her job is there waiting for her but I guess she just wants to work a little bit.

She's also started painting which is nice. She's surprisingly good too. We already hung one of her paintings in our bedroom.

Still, she really enjoys spending time with Matthew. She already told me that she'd really like another baby - obviously not quite yet but in the rather near than distant future. I love kids - especially ours - so I'm definitely on board whenever she feels ready.

Iona absolutely adores all her little siblings. She can be a bit mouthy sometimes but she's great with the kids.

I try to help her with her homework - not that she really needs help but it's nice to spend some time with her too.

I'm not her dad but I've known her since she was 4 years old and I love her just as much as I love Naomi and Matthew. She's a great kid and we're going to miss her so much when she goes to college in a couple of years.


Notes:
  • Title from "Dandelions" by Ruth B.
  • I can't believe it, this was Iona's last update in this household! We'll see her again next year with her dad's household which will be her very last update as a teen.
  • Erin and Toby really want another baby. She's on the InTeenimater BC and they tried autonomously for a baby three (!) times. So most likely I'm going to pop in to get them to try again in a few months. It might not happen because she's had trouble getting pregnant and also had the miscarriage but I'll let them try because their kids are so freaking adorable.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, I can't wait to see Iona all grown up - she's almost there!

    I'm somehow surprised Erin and Toby want another one. I thought they'd be good with the three. But it should be interesting to see if they do have another. Assuming Iona moves out, I guess they'll have the room for another, at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iona is such a fun character to play and I can't wait to see her tear through college like the force of nature she is. (Assuming she'll go to college.)

      I would be happy with Erin and Toby not having another one. But they're one of my most active couples to try for a baby so I might let them try for one more. There's actually the possibility to expand the upstairs if they go completely crazy although I hope it doesn't come to that because I like the house as it is.

      Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete