Sunday 31 October 2010

Better

Round 13: Winter 2020


Erin Fielding is 25 and Iona is 8.
(Toby is 28.)


Narrated by Erin Fielding

Iona is staying at Greg's for a few days so it's been incredibly quiet around here. I don't usually even bother to cook for myself, I just heat something in the oven. I guess I have to get used to this because Iona seems to enjoy spending time with her dad a lot and she likes Malia too.

Greg and Malia finally set the date for their wedding. They're gonna have a very low-key ceremony in the autumn with just their closest friends as guests.

I feel like I'm living and breathing law right now. I'm on my third year in law school and the work load just gets more and more insane. I finally got my foot in the law career though. I'm only a receptionist at the firm but I'm the first in line to be hired if they get a need for another lawyer.

I carry law books with me everywhere. Mom jokes that she hasn't seen me without a book in my hands for over two years. It's true that I spent almost all of my free time studying but it'll all get easier in a couple of years when I graduate.

Toby usually drags me away from the computer when he comes over. He says that my brain needs to relax every now and then or it'll explode.

I love the distraction. I love him. We've been talking about possibly moving in together at some point. He spends most of his time at my house anyway so it would make sense if he just moved here. We haven't made any definite plans as to when it's going to happen but just knowing that it's going to happen makes me happy.

He took me out to dinner at Joie Délicieuse to celebrate my new career in the law business. It's a very classy place so I bought a new dress and had Liv help me with my hairdo. She's the one who convinced me to dye my hair a bit darker and I think if she doesn't make it in the music business then she'd make an excellent hairstylist and makeup artist.

We had to wait a while for our table so we sat on the sofa and had a nice chat. Toby has finally decided what he wants to do with his life careerwise. He's never been very interested in culinary and he hated his job in the fast food joint.

He's decided he wants to become a fire fighter. I'm happy for him but I'm also a bit worried because it's such a dangerous job. He's sent applications to the Wellington Fire Station as well as others but hasn't heard back from them yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he gets a job that he really likes.

The food was delicious but honestly I could've been eating cardboard and wouldn't have noticed the difference. I only had senses for Toby and that loving look in his eyes.

He ordered some French champagne which is probably ridiculously overpriced but very good.

And then... He pulled a ring box out of his pocket!

"Erin, being with you makes me happier than I could ever imagine. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life trying to make you happy. Will you marry me?"

He looked so nervous, as if he thought I might say no. Of course I said yes!

We spent the rest of the evening holding hands and looking at each other's eyes. This just feels so right.

We got back to my apartment and cuddled on the sofa for a while. It wasn't too late to call people so we called my parents to tell them the news. They sounded very happy and wished us all the best. Dad offered to pay for the wedding but we haven't even set a date yet and haven't made any plans so I said we'd talk about it later.

I always call Iona in the evening when she's staying at Greg's and tonight wasn't an exception. I want to tell her the news face to face so I just asked about her day at school and said good night. I also talked to Greg and told him the news. He promised to bring Iona home the next day.

I told Iona that Toby had asked me to marry him and that I said yes. I asked what she thought about it.

"Oh mommy, that's so cool! Will he come to live with us always?" she said. I should've known that she would be ok with the engagement. She adores Toby and I think that she thinks it just natural that I'm getting married since Greg and Malia are tying the knot soon too. And the prospect of being the flowergirl in two weddings isn't hurting either.

It just warms my heart to see my little girl looking so happy and getting along with the man that I love.

Notes:
  • Title from "Better" by Regina Spektor.
  • Toby has had the want to engaged to Erin for a long time and now she rolled the want to marry him so I thought it's about time to get them engaged. They (or should I say I) haven't set a date for the wedding yet but it'll be some time next round. I'll probably move Toby in with Erin and Iona at some point before the wedding.
  • Greg and Malia are getting married this autumn but since they are playable NPCs I'll handle the wedding the same way I handled their engagement: with an announcement in the Wellington Gazette.
  • I'm hoping to get an office building done before next round so I could show Erin (and other lawyers) at work. I'm planning to build lots for all my careers but first on my to-do list is a makeover of the whole hood.

8 comments:

  1. So much to talk about! First, love the new layout for the blog. Love Erin's new look, her hair and her shirt especially. I haven't seen the hair before, nor the shirt-are they H&M? Congrats on the upcoming wedding and new career for Toby, very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple Valley, thanks. I made the banner and then I thought I'd do a complete makeover for the blog.

    Erin's hair is by stakeit-uk and you can find it here:
    http://stakeit-uk.livejournal.com/62255.html

    The shirt was ripped from an H&M outfit by Amaryll and you can find it here:
    http://witheredlilies.livejournal.com/14752.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new look of your blog!! I recently redid mine, and I love doing it actually, that is if I know what I want :)

    I adore Erin's new look! I alaways liked the hair, and have it in my game for some time now, but I haven't found a sims for it :)
    I love her formalgown! Do you remeber where you got it?

    I'm so excited about the wedding! I'm sure Erin will be a beautifull bride!

    Good luck on all the building and other stuff that is on your to-do list, mine is getting longer and longer every day :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new layout and the banner! Everything is looking gorgeous!

    I'm so happy to see Toby and Erin tying the knot! They are the sweetest couple. He's been so supportive of Erin and he's so good with Iona. I'm glad Iona likes Toby so much.

    You are terrible for my downloads folder! I often see something online, pass over it and then I see it on your Sims and decide I need it after all, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanja, thank you. I like how your blog looks too. I just chose a new template and played around with the colors a little bit.

    I wanted to change Erin's hair color to a little bit darker red so that she would look different from her big sister Nyah. All the Fielding girls have the same face but I try to make them look different with hair and clothes.

    I do remember where I got Erin's formal gown because I downloaded it just a couple of days ago, it's by jesslove:
    http://jesslove.dreamwidth.org/58071.html

    My to-do list is so long that I'll never get everything done!

    Carla, I've been wanting to use a banner for a long time and I finally snapped the perfect picture for it.

    I love Erin and Toby together. They are definitely my favorite couple and I can't wait to get them married. He's such a doll :)

    Oh, it's the same for me. I see something in your blog and I got to have it even if I had already talked myself out of downloading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Toby and Erin. They're super cute together

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited they are getting married! I was thinking it might be a little upsetting for her to watch Greg get married, even if she was in a good relationship with Toby. I'm looking forward to Iona as a flower girl. The restaurant they dined at was quite lovely!

    For a girl who got pregnant so young, she really is doing well in life. I'm glad that she made her education such a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  8. heredoncove, thanks :)

    Maisie, I'm excited too. I think Erin might have felt a bit sad even though she doesn't have feelings for Greg anymore.

    The restaurant is the old Joie Delicieuse but I gave it a much needed makeover. Turned out quite nice.

    I'm so proud of Erin! She's so determined to give her daughter a good life.

    ReplyDelete